Wednesday, April 29, 2009

CL(ASS)-less

Top Blogs OK, so I deviated. I couldn't help myself. The trash-talking, chest-thumping, swear-machine known as Kevin Garnett made me. And to be honest, I have no desire to be in front of a keyboard right now. None whatsoever. I could give two "hoots" about all of Garnett's moral blemishes, but his continued taunting and blatant bad mouthing of opposing players is gutless. Garnett's recent injury has made him a suit and tie cheerleader for the Boston Celtics during their best of seven playoff series with the Chicago Bulls. He has been a bit more than a cheerleader. More like a ring-leader. Watching the game the other night with my family, my seven year-old asked me "why is that angry man yelling at the Bulls' player?" I was just relieved he didn't ask me "what is he yelling?" I had no answer for my young basketball fan. Why would a grown man (presumably) dressed in a suit and tie (clip on?) yell obscenities at another grown man? Every night we see the same embittered Kevin. This is the same psychopath, who in the 2004 NBA Playoffs made references to guns, artillery and some other nonsense, when talking about preparing for his game. "This is it," Garnett said. "It's for all the marbles. I'm sitting in the house loading up the pump, I'm loading up the Uzis, I've got a couple of M-16s, couple of nines, couple of joints with some silencers on them, couple of grenades, got a missile launcher. I'm ready for war."
I have read a plethora of posts and replies from those claiming that trash talking is just part of the game. Absolutely. Moreover, some people are claiming Jordan was at the top of the "trash- talk" chain. He was, but he never did it sitting on a bench. In the years I followed Jordan, I do not recall seeing him shouting disgusting obscenities at opposing players and coaches. Certainly not from the bench. When Garnett dresses for a game----trash talk away. Until then, please sit down, stay seated and shut your mouth!

0 comments: